It must be a universal law that your battery always dies at the most inopportune time. While we can’t necessarily make it a convenient experience, we can certainly be prepared! Here’s how to jump start a car…
The first step is to always keep jumper cables in your vehicle! Not only will this make it easier for you when your vehicle dies, you can also help return the favor when someone else is in need.
- Try to park nose-to-nose and then turn both vehicles off.
- Take one end of the cables and clip the red clip to the positive terminal of the dead battery.
- Attach the opposing red clip to the positive terminal of the “good” battery.
- Attach a black clip to the negative terminal of the “good” battery.
- Attach the opposing black clip to an unpainted metal surface inside your engine bay (effectively grounding it).
Start your vehicle. Most of the time, this is all it takes. If not, start the vehicle with the good battery and let it run for a few minutes. Then try your vehicle again. If that doesn’t work, your battery needs replacing.